I wanted to share with you one of the most simplest recipes ever. It is my homemade hummus and I have to warn you that it doesn’t taste like shop bought hummus BUT it’s still yummy and I always like making things for several reasons the first being just because it is a big hobby of mine and it’s much more satisfying making your own meal than whipping out something that is premade!
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
What to do:
- Place all ingredients in a food processer or you can use a hand blender or just mash by hand. Blend until it has made a smooth puree and then tadah you are done!
- Don’t freak out about the oil because olive oil is SO good for you. I am actually going to list all of the good things about fats because they are essential in the diet and people seem to be afraid of fats when they shouldn’t be because we need ALL nutrients to make up a BALANCED diet.
Why fats are so good for you and why you need them in your diet:
- Carbohydrates are the main source of energy in the body but when the body has ran out it will turn to the fat stores to find energy
- Fats help maintain body temperature
- They protect and cushion your organs and bodies tissue
- Used to build new cells
- Vitamins A, D, E and K are fat soluable vitamins which means without fat they cannot function properly
- Essential for brain development and nerve function
- They keep your hair, skin and nails beautiful and shiny, make sure your hair doesn’t fall out and isn’t all brittle and straw like. Protein helps with this as well
Another little thing I wanted to add to this post is that I have a bit of an announcement I guess urm I don’t know what you would call it. I have been thinking for a long while and I want to make a series of blog posts to do with anything mental health and anorexia recovery related. I have been in recovery for four years now and I have learnt A LOT over my time so as well as my recipes and my daily posts on this blog which I love doing so much once a week I will be doing posts on things so this week was why fats are good for you and I will also be doing things like my personal views on stopping counting calories, how to deal with friends/family who are on a diet, extreme hunger in recovery and so on. I want to be able to share my experiences with people and to help them. I would love it if you commented to say if you think this is a good idea and also if you have suggestions of posts I could do then I would love that so much. I have decided to call this series “the mental health project” because I think that’s a good all round general name for the sorts of topics I will be talking about.